What is Yerba Mate Herb?
The yerba mate is an herbal tea made from the leaves and twigs of the plant Ilex paraguariensis, which is most commonly found in southern Brazil, northern Argentina and eastern Paraguay. It is also known as mate, congonha or chimarrão. The yerba mate plant is a medicinal plant that has a thin gray stem, oval leaves and small fruits of a green or purplish color.
Properties of Yerba Mate Herb
Yerba Mate Herb has many different medicinal and nutritional properties that give it its potency. Among its main nutrients are: derivatives of caffeine (caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid), flavonoids (quercetin, rutin and kaempferol), methylxanthines (caffeine, theophylline and theobromine), polyphenols, tannins, saponins (ursolic acid) – confer the bitter taste, minerals (phosphorus, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, magnesium) and vitamins (thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, C, E and beta-carotene). Among the acids present in the mate plant, chlorogenic acid is responsible for inhibiting the activity of hepatic glucose-6-phosphatase, and reduces the oxidation of LDL and bad cholesterol, in addition to acting directly on glucose metabolism. In the mate leaves, there are chemicals known as methylxanthines, which have stimulating properties that impact the cardiac, renal and central nervous systems.
Benefits of the Yerba Mate Herb
- Yerba mate has caffeine, theophylline, theobromine, folic acid, tannins, minerals and vitamins A, B1, B2, C and E in its composition and therefore acts as an anti-oxidant, diuretic, mild laxative, stimulant and aphrodisiac .
- It can increase energy and improve mental focus. Because of its high caffeine content, yerba mate can help increase your energy levels and increase your mental focus.
- It can improve physical performance: yerba mate increases the body’s dependence on fat for fuel during exercise. It can also improve muscle contractions and reduce fatigue, which can contribute to better physical performance.
- It can protect against infections: yerba mate possesses several antibacterial, antiparasitic and antifungal properties.
- Can help you lose weight and belly fat
- Yerba mate can reduce appetite, increase metabolism and increase the amount of fat burned as fuel.
- It can boost the immune system: yerba mate has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can boost the immune system.
- Reduces blood sugar levels: yerba mate can improve insulin signaling and blood sugar control.
- It can decrease the risk of heart disease: The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties of Yerba mate can help protect against heart disease.
Contraindications of Yerba Mate Herb
Yerba Mate should not be taken by pregnant women, nursing mothers, children, and those with medical conditions or who are taking medications.
NOTE: We highly recommend that before using any herbal medications you should consult your health care provider or medical doctor for professional advice.
Disclaimer: All herbs and spices listed on http://www.islandherbsandspices.com/ or sold for medical and household use only, again we advice that before using any HERBS for medical purposes, please consult your physician.